Flickr Photostream YouTube Instagram Pinterest Our Facebook Page
Home About Get Involved Resources Videos Donate Contact Us

Warm Springs/East End Buildings

Warm Springs Avenue and Boise’s East End begin at First Street which was the original eastern city limit of Boise in 1867. Both the Avenue and its adjacent East End Neighborhood are Boise City Historic Districts with houses ranging in age from 1865 to the 1990’s and are outstanding examples of all of the historical styles that were in vogue through those years. Warm Springs, which is the eastern continuation of Main Street, got its name from the hot springs located at the foot of the prominent hill topped by the sandstone mesa known as Table Rock. The springs were enjoyed by the native people who camped each year along the nearby banks of the Boise River. In 1891 the brick Victorian mansion on the Avenue at the corner of Walnut Street became the first home in Boise to be heated by that geothermal water which has since been piped to nearly all of the homes on the Avenue and many in the East End. The beautifully maintained Pioneer Cemetery of 1870 is located near the start of the Avenue with the graves of many territorial governors and prominent citizens. A mile farther to the east is the Territorial Prison, a National Register Historic Site which attracts thousands of visitors each year. by Charles Hummel

 
Home About Get Involved Resources Videos Donate Contact Us