Flickr Photostream YouTube Instagram Pinterest Our Facebook Page
Home About Get Involved Resources Videos Donate Contact Us

Boise Train Depot

Boise Train Depot
Building Location 2603 W. Eastover Ter
Boise, Idaho 83706
The Bench Neighborhood
Ada County
Building Status Public
Year Built
Architectural Style Mission revival
Architect
Type
Material

Have updates for this building? Contact Us!

The Boise Train Depot is a very interesting part of history and architecture in Boise, and people tend not to acknowledge or realize it. The Mission Revival Style was an architectural movement that began in the late 19th Century and drew inspiration from the early Spanish missions in California. They have massive walls with broad, unadorned surfaces and limited fenestration, wide, projecting eaves, and low-pitched clay tile roofs. Other features included long, arcaded corridors, pointed arches, and curved gables. Exterior walls were coated with plaster (stucco) to shield the adobe bricks beneath. The Boise Depot is also very rich in history and it was first designed in 1924 by the four New York architects Carrere, Hastings, Shreve, and Lando. On August 1st, 1924 construction was started to build the new Depot and on April 16th 1925 the first transcontinental train steamed into the new station. On May 10th, 1997 the last Amtrak rolled out of Boise leaving Idaho with no passenger train service. It is open every Monday from two to six in the afternoon for viewing by the public. Although the Depot isn't used for transportation, it is still one of the most beautiful buildings in Idaho.

Building submitted by Ryan Brevik and Jason Kahn

Update Building Info | View More The Bench Buildings

 
Home About Get Involved Resources Videos Donate Contact Us