Flickr Photostream YouTube Instagram Pinterest Our Facebook Page
Home About Get Involved Resources Videos Donate Contact Us

2901 N Tartan Pl

2901 N Tartan Pl
Building Location 2901 N Tartan Pl
Boise, Idaho 83702
Idaho Neighborhood
Ada County
Building Status Private
Year Built 1957
Architectural Style Post-War Contemporary
Architect
Type
Material concrete blocks, batten siding, cross-gabled

Have updates for this building? Contact Us!

Jack and Beverly Peck acquired a mortgage from the Provident Federal Savings and Loan in December of 1956 in the amount of $14,400. This modest sum was likely the combined value of both the purchase price for their lot in Unit No. 1 of The Highlands and the construction cost of their new home to which they moved in 1957. Though unattributed to any particular architect, the design of the home emphasizes many aspects of post-war contemporary architectural trends. These trends are exhibited in the home?s rectilinear massing, shallow, cross-gabled roofs with deep eaves, clerestory windows which provide privacy for the street-facing elevations, and integration of both concrete block and board and batten siding. These exterior materials in particular reference ? perhaps inadvertently ? the Usonian houses designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. In 1977, a remodel of the home was completed that converted the garage, originally located to the left of the present front door, to a new entry, living room, and bedroom. These alterations, completed for $5,000, are sympathetic to the original design of the home. Born in Oklahoma in 1918, Jack Peck was raised in Boise where he graduated from Boise High School in 1935. At the time he moved into the house on Tartan, Peck was working as a salesman for Moore Business Forms, Inc. His wife Beverly was a typist at the State Department of Law Enforcement. The Pecks lived in the home only briefly. By 1960, they were no longer listed at the address. Jack later moved to Billings, Montana where he died in 1992. The short ownership and occupancy of the Pecks was a precursor to a series of occupants throughout the 1960s and 70s. Most stayed for only a year or two. These residents included a watch salesman, a doctor in the US Army, an insurance salesman, an attorney, and the director of the State Maternal and Child Health Services. The relatively long tenure of the present owners has lasted the better part of two decades. This home was on the 11th Annual Heritage Home Tour in 2013 thanks to the generosity of the current homeowners Greg and Jill Weigel.

Building submitted by Preservation Idaho

Update Building Info | View More Idaho Buildings

 
Home About Get Involved Resources Videos Donate Contact Us