Flickr Photostream YouTube Instagram Pinterest Our Facebook Page
Home About Get Involved Resources Videos Donate Contact Us

North End Buildings

The North End spreads like a V from the Fort Street cottonwood cabin where John and Mary O'Farrell built the city's first permanent home. Its first subdivisions bordered the U.S. cavalry fort. In 1891, when President Benjamin Harrison visited to celebrate Idaho's statehood, Boiseans landscaped 17th Street, calling it Harrison Boulevard. Electric streetcars reached Hyde Park in 1892. Boardwalks and service alleys paralleled streetcar lines. Grandly ornate Queen Anne villas shared fences with modest kit-made Montgomery Ward catalogue homes. After 1910, North Enders came to prefer a space-efficient, functional, low-roofed style of working class housing called the California Bungalow. Sandy hills the gully north of 8th Street became Camels Back Park in 1932. Nostalgia, shade trees, and historic architecture have since made the neighborhood a bike-bike friendly have from young professionals. Hyde Park has become a national model for devotees of mix-use "new urbanists" districts with parks, shops, and corner stores. by Prof. Todd Shallat

 
Home About Get Involved Resources Videos Donate Contact Us