1707 Warm Springs
1707 Warm Springs Ave.
Boise, Idaho 83712
Warm Springs/East End Neighborhood
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
Have updates for this building? Contact Us!
This classic hipped cottage style home, often called a four-square was built in the early 20th century. This four-square style house sits on the corner of Warm Springs Avenue and Mobley and has provided an architectural anchor for the neighborhood, being the last home on the historic block of Warm Springs. Four-squares are known for their almost square floor plan and ability to adapt to many different styles with various detailing. Since its original construction, this house has undergone extensive modifications. The four-square style is seen in its general architectural form. It is a full two-story structure with a hipped roof and a centered hipped dormer. It also has an off-centered entry, however, it currently lacks the original entry porch that was removed sometime following the 1940’s. Although now covered up by aluminum siding, the original cladding was cedar shingles. This and the bay window east of the front entry are other classic characteristics of a four-square style home. The fluted pilaster is an example of colonial revival detailing. Today, the location of this house could be compared to our modern Harris Ranch, because during this time period, it was located far from the downtown area and was considered a rural property. The backyard has undergone extensive remodeling as the guesthouse was once a cattle shed and where the garage now sits was a barn. This house resided in the heart of the agricultural area of Boise. All together, there have been five owners of this residence. Four of which include the Kuhns, Cliffords, Eisenmans, and the current owners. Each of these owners has done a fair amount of remodeling on this home. To begin with, this house was built to suit the needs of a farming family, the Kuhns, but when the Cliffords moved in, they decided to update the home starting with the cattle shed, which was turned into a guesthouse. The barn was also completely torn down and left vacant until the Eisenmans moved in and converted it into a garage. In 1972, the Cliffords resided the home, putting aluminum siding over the original shingles. Other remodels have taken place over the years, but it is difficult to place an owner with each remodel, because there have been a plethora of changes within the home. Interesting modifications include the covering of the sliding pocket doors between the dining room and the main living quarters by a two feet thick wall. Another includes the fireplace, which has not been used in years, because the chimney on the outside does not align with the interior fire box. What was once a sleeping porch on the back elevation of the house has been turned into bedroom and closet space on the second story. The original hardwood flooring layout indicates that the entrance interior walls have been altered and/or moved. It is also possible that the front door was once a double-door, then removed and made into a single-door around the same time the porch was removed as indicated by the hardwood floor pattern. The most recent remodel, done by the current owners, was the single story edition of a mudroom and kitchen on the South side of the house designed by architect Beth Lassen. Along with this, an outdoor cooking and dining facility located near the pool was added. As Warm Springs Avenue has been considered a very prominent street for upper class businessman in Boise, this has been reflected by the owners of this home. The Cliffords, being the first to reside in the more developed era of this upper class neighborhood, were doctors and were very prominent in society, often holding extravagant social gatherings. The grounds of this house were home to many exotic pets, such as peacocks, which roamed the Clifford’s property. Mr. Eisenman, the next owner, has been credited with the creation of the potato truck holder, which changed the world of potato farming. Hence, creating a very advanced way of effectively transporting potatoes without harming them. The current owners continue to uphold the traditions of class and sophistication that go along with this beautiful home. This house has been around for many generations and has developed along with the constantly changing and expanding city of Boise, Idaho. Upholding a high class tradition, this residence has housed a number of high societal figures. Although it has been modified, much of its original structure has been preserved and still holds a significant role in the historical district of Warm Springs. Thanks to Dr. and Mrs. Andersen and Mr. John Clifford.
Building submitted by Ahna Thompson and Vanessa McEntee