622 W Highland View Dr
622 W Highland View Dr
Boise, Idaho 83702
|Architectural Style||Modernist; mid-century American Internationalism|
|Material||Wood siding, brick piers, deep eaves with exp|
Have updates for this building? Contact Us!
Two days after Lloyd and Norma Gilkey secured a mortgage from the Provident Federal Savings and Loan in the amount of $21,500 in August of 1963, they purchased the house at 622 W. Highland View Drive from the A. T. Sorensen Construction Company. Alma (Al) Sorensen was a Boise building contractor who was one of ten builders to participate in the original 1956 Parade of Homes. Like many contractor-built houses, the architectural design of the Gilkey House is unattributed, but it is likely that at least two very similar houses in The Highlands were built by Sorensen to the same design. The substantial building features a day-lit basement which takes full advantage of the deep, sloping lot. The modernistic design of the house includes a low-pitched, front-gabled roof arranged symmetrically to either side of a small, recessed entry courtyard. Wood siding, brick piers, and deep eaves with exposed beams accent this well-designed example of mid-century American Internationalism. Lloyd Gilkey was born in Twin Falls, Idaho in 1926. After attending schools at Twin Falls, Gilkey served three years in the Army during World War II. Norma Robison was born in Kansas in 1928 but moved to Twin Falls with her family when she was three. She graduated from Twin Falls High School in 1945 and married Lloyd Gilkey there in 1947. Together they moved to Boise in 1950 and raised four children. Gilkey worked for the Idaho Sheet Metal Company and was promoted to manager in 1961. The company specialized in power sheet metal tools, stainless steel, food processing equipment, and general sheet metal work. Lloyd Gilkey died in 1972 at the age of 45. Norma survived her husband by nearly 40 years, dying in Boise in 2008. The Gilkeys sold their house on W. Highland View in 1971. A series of occupants lived in the house until 1975 when it was purchased by Ron and Carol Reagan. Reagan, a dentist, sold the house to his son, the present owner, who grew up in the home. Michael and Shannon Reagan have recently completed a substantial interior remodel of the house which respects its original design aesthetic while adding contemporary touches. This home was on the 11th Annual Heritage Home Tour in 2013, thanks to the generosity of the current homeowners Michael and Shannon Reagan.
Building submitted by Preservation Idaho