907 N Harrison Blvd
907 N Harrison Blvd
Boise, Idaho 83702
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
Have updates for this building? Contact Us!
Built in 1911, the Clarence and Clara Carter House was constructed in a variation of the Colonial Revival style of American architecture. While many of the homes built in this style were carefully symmetrical, this example features a right-of-center entry on the north end of the full-width porch. Other attributes, including the boxed columns, return eaves, and wide profile siding, are more typical. Of particular note is the arched window lighting the stairs on the north elevation. The careful tracery of the muntins separating the panes of glass and the faux keystones at the top of the window are indicative of the care taken in the home?s design. The house retains most of its original exterior architectural features although the historic photo above reveals that the decorative X-braced balcony rail and porch column embellishments have been removed or replaced while a portion of the porch has been enclosed. Clarence Carter was a financial agent and investment broker specializing in real estate, loans, and insurance. A Kansas native, Carter relocated with Clara to Boise in the first decade of the Twentieth Century. Active in Boise?s small but busy social scene, the Carters were friends of architect Charles Wayland who designed a home that the newspaper noted would have ?two stories, with six rooms besides two sleeping porches, bath and dressing room.? Construction on the $5,600 home began in July, 1911 and was completed by December. Attorney L. L. Sullivan purchased the home from the Carters in 1919, but in May of 1923 sold it to Mrs. Mary Tuley. Tuley moved into the house with her daughter and son-in-law, Lillian and Henry Cook. Her new house was only a few steps from another daughter and son-in-law, the Brookovers, who built their new home at 919 Harrison in 1921. Originally from Virginia, Henry Cook relocated to Boise in 1919 where he owned and operated gas stations in Boise, Emmett, and Mountain Home. Cook later sold automobile tires and owned the Gem Refrigeration Co., a Frigidaire distributer. In 1946, Cook spent $7,000 to relocate a barracks building from Gowen Field to serve as an apartment building and garage behind his home. Henry and Lillian Cook sold the house in 1959. This home was featured on the 12th Annual Heritage Homes Tour in 2014 thanks to the generosity of the current homeowners Richard and Susan Slaughter.
Building submitted by Preservation Idaho