3703 Kootenai St
Boise, Idaho 83705
The Bench Neighborhood
|Architectural Style||Tudor Revival|
Have updates for this building? Contact Us!
On June 4, 1933, William L. Johnson, the credit manager for the Boise Payette Lumber Company, began construction on a house on Kootenai Street near its intersection with Latah. The new house was built in the Tudor Revival style which was relatively uncommon before World War I, but became popular during the 1920s and 1930s. It is possible that Johnson may have built the house based on a plan available from the plan department at the lumber company for which he worked. Several lumber stores carried plan books, which were used by many Boise contractors and builders, for both inspiration and direction. The architect for Boise Payette was Hans Hulbe, a successful local designer known for his Tudor Revival homes. The Tudor Revival style house is characterized by a steeply pitched gable roof, faux half-timbering, and an asymmetrical entrance. Houses similar to the Johnson house were built throughout the historic Kootenai Street neighborhood and in other parts of Boise. Real estate ads referred to it as ?the English Style? which was ?strictly modern? at the time they were built. The houses were well-built and functional and included details such as breakfast nooks, telephone niches, built in ironing boards, bookcases, china cabinets and French doors. Electric lighting fixtures, often considered the ?jewelry? of the house were often striking features of a Tudor Revival interior. They ranged from the basic to elegant wall sconces and chandeliers. The Johnson house retains several of these original features including a telephone niche, built in bookcase, and original lighting in the front room, kitchen, dining room, and master bedroom. William Johnson and his wife, Leitha, lived in the house for a few years before they divorced and sold the house. Abner Kuttler, a local veterinarian bought the house from Mr. Johnson in July, 1941, probably as an investment. Two month later, he sold it to Laurence and Zelida Palmer who moved to the house with their children, Albert and daughter, Zelida Anne, called Anne. Laurence, a federal employee worked for the U.S. Social Security Board and lived in the house until his death in 1965. Zelida lived in the house until her death in 1987 when daughter Anne and husband Raymond Theis inherited the house. A subsequent, sympathetic addition extended the house to the west while maintaining its Tudor Revival detailing. This home was featured on the 13th Annual Heritage Homes Tour in 2015 thanks to the generosity of the current homeowners Bryan and Megan Brandel.
Building submitted by Preservation Idaho