Boise, Idaho 83705
The Bench Neighborhood
|Architectural Style||Spanish Revival|
Have updates for this building? Contact Us!
The house was likely built by a local contractor, Audley J. Chambers, and sold shortly after construction finished. The house exhibits classic elements of the style, such as the low-pitched roof, a lack of eaves, an arched entryway, stucco wall surfaces, and an asymmetrical façade. The house lacks the classic red tile roof, but contains decorative iron elements commonly found on Spanish Revival style homes. Al and Olive Campbell were notable residents at 3200 Kootenai. They moved in shortly after the previous owner was called for the draft in 1942 and remained in the house until Al died in 1957. Al formed the Campbell-Simpson Motor Company with Leon S. Simpson and served as the company’s vice president and general manager. He also served on the school board from 1946 to 1950 and was the First Senior Warden of All Saints Episcopal Church. Al participated in a number of organizations, including the General Motor Dealer’s Council, the Boise Auto Dealers Association, the Hillcrest Country Club, the City Club, Progress Lodge 22, the Scottish Rite Masons, the Boise Consistory, and El Korah Shrine. In addition, he bred Arabian and American saddle horses, worked as the Director of the Intermountain Horse Shows, Inc., and served as the President of the Idaho Equestrians group. Both of Al and Olive’s sons graduated from the Shattuck Military Academy in Faribault, Minnesota. Allan was stationed on the USS Okanogan in Long Beach, California, and John was stationed at Camp Pendleton after his father’s death. Olive re-married in 1958, to J.C. McDowell, and remained at 3200 Kootenai for a number of years afterward.
Building submitted by Aimee Rollins